What Insurance Do I Need as a Professional Photographer?

GettyImages-1004886212-minBeing a photographer is creatively rewarding but when you’re using pricey equipment and photographing once-in-a-lifetime events, there’s plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Wedding venues, studio set-ups, and on-location filming are highly targeted areas for expensive camera equipment to be stolen. As a business owner, your gear is your livelihood and to give your business security, you’ll need to take the necessary precautions to adequately protect it.

Choosing the right professional photographer insurance 

Turning a passion into a day job is the definition of living the dream for lots of photography enthusiasts. A part of becoming a better freelance photographer is staying well-informed about your industry, and that includes the insurance options available to you and your thriving business. 

Photography equipment insurance:

Photography insurance is designed to cover your equipment from a range of risks, including theft, loss or damage. Cover can be provided for camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment, tripods and can even include important computer equipment such as laptops and external hard drives.

All gear that is paramount to the successful functioning of your business.

Public liability insurance:

Public liability insurance is especially important to a professional photographer that is working with the public. It covers photographers against third party claims. These claims can be for injury or damage that you may have directly or indirectly caused to another person or their property.

For example, you left a cable running across a well-used pathway at an event and someone tripped over it and injured themselves, you would be liable for any compensation that person pursued.

Professional indemnity insurance:

Professional indemnity insurance is essential cover for a professional photographer. In the event that a photographer finds themselves in dispute with a client, the cost of defending an allegation or claim made against them are paid, or compensation is awarded to the client.

For example, you shoot a one-in-a-lifetime event, such as a wedding, and discover that your memory card has corrupted and a fraction of the photographs are recoverable. That couple would most likely be requiring a significant amount of compensation.

Photography insurance from Glover & Howe

Professional photography insurance from Glover & Howe can cover your business and livelihood. Established for over 50 years, we’re one of the oldest Photography Insurers in the UK! We offer unparalleled experience and can fully tailor a policy to your individual needs a professional photographer.

Find out more about why you should choose Glover & Howe and speak to our knowledgeable team about your requirements on 01206 814500.

Posted in Help and Advice, Insurance Business | Comments Off on What Insurance Do I Need as a Professional Photographer?